This morning, the New Orleans Sewerage & Water Board (S&WB) issued a boil water advisory for the East Bank of Orleans Parish. A "power fluctuation" at a S&WB power plant was responsible for low water pressure throughout the city.
The advisory is in effect until further notice. During previous boil water advisory periods, the S&WB collected water samples and usually, test results will take at least 24 hours once all samples are collected. We will update you as soon as we get more information.
Residents are advised not to drink, make ice, brush teeth, prepare or rinse food with tap water until it has been properly disinfected.
The S&WB recommends that residents boil water for at least one minute before use.
Tips for Restaurants
Tips for restaurants while under a boil advisory (per La. Dept. of Health & Hospitals):
· Bottled water can be used for food prep, cooking, washing/rinsing/sanitizing of utensils and food contact surfaces, as well as for hand washing.
· Single service utensils (paper/plastic plates, forks, spoons, knives) can be used.
· In bathrooms, provide bottled water or potable water for washing hands.
· Notify your customers of the boil advisory and explain precautions and safety practices.
· Ice machines must be disabled.
Do not use fountain drink dispensers that use water as a component of the drink mix. (If possible, offer canned or bottled soft drinks.)