The Louisiana Workforce Commission has a two-part process for employing a minor as outlined below under Employment Certificates.
Employment Certificates (work permits)
- All minors under the age of 18 MUST obtain an Employment Certificate before beginning employment.
- An “Application for Employment” form MUST be completed by the prospective employer, signed by a parent or guardian and presented to an authorized issuing officer of the parish.
- Once the minor has been issued the employment certificate (work permit), they are to provide the employer with the original document to keep on file.
Minors 14 & 15 years of age MAY NOT
- Work more than three hours on any day during which school is in session
- Work more than 18 hours during any week school is in session
- Work more than six consecutive days in one week (Employer work week)
- Work more than 40 hours in any week
- Work more than eight hours in any day.
- Minors 14 & 15 years of age, who HAVE NOT graduated from high school MAY NOT:
- Work between the hours of 7 p.m. and 7 a.m.; except from June 1 through Labor Day at which time the permissible hours are extended to 9 p.m.
· Work between the hours of 11 p.m. and 5 a.m. prior to the start of any school day.
Minors 17 years of age, who have not graduated from high school MAY NOT:
· Work between the hours of midnight and 5 a.m. prior to the start of any school day
All minors MUST have a 30 minute uninterrupted break period within every five hours of employment. ALL MINORS SHALL RECEIVE AN EIGHT HOUR REST BREAK AT THE END OF EACH WORK DAY, BEFORE THE COMMENCEMENT OF THE NEXT DAY OF WORK.
Occupations permitted for 14 & 15 year-old minors
- Office and clerical work
- Cashiering and sales
- Price marking, assembling and packing
- Bagging and carrying out in grocery stores
- Errand and delivery work by foot or public transportation
- Clean-up work and ground maintenance (No power mowers)
- Kitchen work and dishwasher
- Car washing dispensing gasoline, and courtesy service
- Cleaning vegetables and fruit, wrapping and stocking
- Commercial Sales
- Golf Caddy
The Louisiana Workforce Commission state-mandated Louisiana Minor Labor Law Placard posting can be downloaded and printed at www.laworks.net.
For questions, please contact Debbie LaRocca, Labor Programs Director, Louisiana Workforce Commission, (225) 342-0275, email@example.com.