- Maintain adequate security.
- Develop a plan to ensure that minors are not served alcohol or tobacco products.
- Develop a policy and educate employees on identifying proper identification.
- Ensure that you have obtained special event permits for any events outside your licensed premises (i.e., in the parking lot, etc.).
- Ensure that your alcohol and tobacco inventory is purchased from licensed wholesale dealers.
- Ensure that all permits are current and clearly visible.
- Remember that ATC agents may enter your permitted location at any time.
- A K-9 may accompany agents during their inspections.
- Ensure you are in compliance with Trade Practice Regulations (visit the ATC website at www.atc.la.gov).
Here are some tips from LRA members who've experienced restaurant ownership during Mardi Gras for decades:
- Be aware of your surroundings at all times. This goes for everyone!
- Regardless of the time of year, servers carrying cash are encouraged to leave the restaurant in groups, travel in well-lit areas, carpool if possible, avoid flashing cash and do not walk while using a smartphone/cell phone.
- Managers and staff are encouraged to move their vehicles closer to the building once the shift has ended and prior to closing procedures.
- Keep side and back doors locked and alarms set when not in use.
- Make trash runs before lunch and dinner shifts and make sure they are not done by just one staff member.
- Use camera and security systems.
- Don't leave valuables in plain sight in your vehicle.
If there's a tip we've overlooked that you'd like to share, please let us know.
In New Orleans:
Parades are scheduled to begin Friday, February 17. The NBA All Star Game activities start midweek. The City will provide live updates about weather, traffic and general parade safety. You are encouraged to text MARDIGRAS17 to 888777 from a mobile device to receive alerts. Mardi Gras Information and Updates are also available at http://nola.gov/mardigras.
Have a safe and happy Mardi Gras season!