The Louisiana Restaurant Association Education Foundation (LRAEF) is now accepting applications for $70,000 in hospitality scholarships through April 1, 2016.
The LRAEF Scholarship Fund was created in 2009 to support the continuing education of individuals pursuing a career in the culinary and/or hospitality industry. With this year’s scholarships included, the LRAEF will have awarded $340,000 since the Fund’s inception.
Applicants must be currently enrolled or accepted in a bachelor and/or associate degree seeking program in order to pursue or further a career in the restaurant, foodservice, tourism or hospitality industry. Courses of study can include, but are not limited to culinary, hospitality, tourism, business and management programs. Scholarship awards may vary based on available funds and are merit-based.
The 2016 scholarships will be awarded from the following funds:
- Jim Funk Scholarship: Established in 2012, this scholarship is the LRAEF’s most prestigious award. It is named for former LRA President & CEO Jim Funk, who was instrumental in founding the LRAEF during his 30 years of service to the LRA. This scholarship is awarded to the top scholarship applicant for the 2016 cycle and is renewable on an annual basis for up to four years, provided that minimum GPA and enrollment standards are met.
- LRAEF/NRAEF ProStart® Scholarship: Awarded exclusively to students who achieve the ProStart Certificate of Achievement. ProStart is a nationwide, two-year restaurant management and culinary arts program for high school students that develops the best and brightest talent into tomorrow’s industry leaders.
- LRA Board Fund Scholarship: Awarded to Louisiana students who intend to pursue a career in the restaurant, foodservice, tourism or hospitality industry. This Fund is supported through a generous annual donation by the LRA Board of Directors.
- LRA CENLA Chapter Scholarship: Presented by the LRA CENLA Chapter, this scholarship is awarded to qualified applicants from the chapter’s 11 parish area- Avoyelles, Beauregard, Catahoula, Concordia, Grant, LaSalle, Natchitoches, Rapides, Sabine, Vernon and Winn parishes.
- Louisiana Seafood Scholarship: Established through a generous gift from the Louisiana Seafood Promotion & Marketing Board, this scholarship is awarded to qualified applicants who show an interest in cultivating, protecting and promoting Louisiana seafood.
Available for download at www.LRAEF.org, the application must be completed and postmarked by Friday, April 1, 2016.
“The LRAEF is proud to offer financial assistance to students both beginning and furthering their education in the culinary and hospitality fields,” said LRAEF Executive Director Alice Glenn. “Our industry offers great opportunities for rewarding careers and advancement. This scholarship program supports those who seek to build their academic and practical skills.”
The LRAEF, a 501 (c)3 non-profit organization, exists to enhance the industry’s service to the public through education, community engagement and promotion of career opportunities. If you would like to make a donation, please contact Alice Glenn, firstname.lastname@example.org or (504) 636-6526.
The LRAEF is grateful to its sponsors: 5 Diamond—Acme Oyster House, Auto-Chlor Services, Louisiana Hospitality Foundation, Louisiana Restaurant Association, National Restaurant Association Educational Foundation and Raising Cane’s Chicken Fingers; 4 Diamond—Performance Foodservice-Caro; 3 Diamond—Atmos Energy, Ben E. Keith, Louisiana Culinary Institute and New Orleans Wine & Food Experience; 2 Diamond—Whole Foods Market and Besh Restaurant Group and 1 Diamond—Capitol City Produce.