Act 577 allows retail food establishments to prepare certain recreational game fish. Any retail food establishment that wishes to participate in the Louisiana Catch and Cook Program can apply to the LDWF to be issued a participation permit by the department. There is no fee to apply for the permit and the restaurant may charge the guest any amount they choose for preparing the item. The guest providing the fish must execute an assumption of risk relieving the establishment of any responsibility.
LDWF will provide the names and locations of each participating retail food establishment to the Department of Health and Hospitals, office of public health upon request.
The participating food establishment shall:
1. Have the recreational fisherman who brings the fish in for preparation sign an assumption of risk form. The completed, dated, and signed form shall be maintained at the food establishment for a period of no less than 90 days.
2. The establishment shall provide the completed forms to the state health officer upon request.
3. The food establishment shall receive only fish that have been cleaned, filleted, placed in clean, food-grade, single-service packaging, and properly refrigerated.
4. The food establishment shall inspect the fish for freshness and proper receiving temperature.
5. The fish shall be properly labeled with the date, time, and name of the recreational fisherman.
6. The retail food establishment shall store, prepare, and otherwise handle the fish separately from products being prepared for and served to the general public.
7. The retail food establishment shall store, prepare, and otherwise handle the fish in compliance with provisions of the state Sanitary Code.
8. The retail food establishment shall prepare and serve the fish to the recreational fisherman or any person in his party within four hours of receipt of the fish.
9. Containers, preparation tables, cutting boards, utensils, and other food preparation equipment used to prepare and serve the fish shall be properly cleaned and sanitized in accordance with provisions of the state Sanitary Code prior to use preparing foods to serve to the general public.
10. The fish shall be served directly to the recreational fisherman or any person in his party immediately upon the completion of cooking and shall not be served to the general public.
To participate in the Catch and Cook Program, create a new permit by clicking here. Download the assumption of risk form here.
For more details, contact Rob Bourgeois, Permit Coordinator at 225-765-0765 or firstname.lastname@example.org.